Nearly all of these are foods (Natalie has pointed out that most people don’t really come to the UK for the food…but I do!), but, in no particular order, here they are:
1. Wine Gums – No, I can’t tell you what’s so great about them, but I love them. In fact, as we speak, there are 20 rolls of them tucked safely into my wellies!
2. Crepes from Le Creperie de Hampstead – Seriously the best crepes outside of, or in, France.
3. Cider and black – Best drink ever. Cider with blackcurrant cordial. A bit studenty, but fantastic! And why there is a bottle of Ribena tucked into the Wine Gum-free boot.
4. Socks from Marks & Spencer – great socks. Full stop.
5. Scones with jam and clotted cream (but mostly the CLOTTED CREAM!) – I don’t know why we don’t get this in the States. We are totally missing out.
6. Chips with cheese – Proper chip-shop chips with salt and vinegar and cheese. Nothing better in the world.
7. Desserts with custard – It’s a different custard to what we call custard in the States. The nearest thing I can think of is that it’s like a slightly thinner vanilla pudding that’s served warm and poured over a dessert. Any kind really, but the best to have it with is sticky toffee pudding. Haven’t managed to have it yet, but I’ve also got a package of Bird’s custard powder tucked into my suitcase (hopefully all my food will make it through US customs with me) so I can make my own when I get home.