Janis did a very impressive job sleuthing out the answers to my birthday puzzle – she got 6 of them right along with the theme of the puzzle (all things that happened on my birthday)!
- Des Moines was founded September 22, 1851.
- This is Samuel Osgood, the first United States Postmaster General, a position which was established September 22, 1789.
- This is a picture of the first American-made automobile, made by the Duryea Brothers, which was first displayed on September 22, 1893.
- The first issue of National Geographic Magazine was published on September 22, 1888.
- Bulgaria gained its independence September 22, 1908.
- On September 22, 1896, Queen Victoria became the longest-reigning British monarch.
- Wagner’s Das Rheingold, the first in his Ring Cycle, premiered in Munich on September 22, 1869.
- An early version of the Emancipation Proclamation was released on September 22, 1862.
- The Duke of York’s Cinema opened on September 22, 1910 in Brighton and is now the oldest continually operating cinema in Britain.
- I was born September 22, 1980!
*My “research” comes from Wikipedia, so it’s best to take it with a grain of salt. Don’t look at me like that – it was my birthday and if I want to be lazy and use Wikipedia as a reliable resource on my birthday, I can!