Things I did not do:
- Alas, I did not sleep in today. Curse you, frighteningly reliable Circadian rhythms!
- Read Sherlock Holmes. Why do I always leave him until the last minute?
Things I did do today:
- Did laundry.
- Made much progress through Soulless.
- Watched episodes of Julia Child’s The French Chef. More on this later, but how did I not remember how awesome she was?!
- Watched the second half of Shrek the Third followed by the first half.
- Discovered that, although, technically almond paste is not the same as marzipan, I think it will do the trick just fine.
- Made a yummy dinner!
And what did I make for dinner? Well, first and easiest, there was Italian potato salad (obviously, without the pancetta, of course). Which, OMG, is super, super, super, DUPER yummy. I had to wait longer than I anticipated for my puff pastry to thaw for the main dish which pushed my schedule back a bit, so waiting the hour for the main to bake was killer. Fortunately, I could pick away at the potato salad waiting for me on the counter.
The main was only troublesome due to the fact that I forgot to put the puff pastry out to defrost. I got really sleepy around 4:00 (seeing as I woke up at 6:30am, I think I can be forgiven for it) and it completely slipped my mind. But after that, the Torta Pasqualina was pretty easy, actually.
I think next time I’ll trim the edges a bit before I fold them all over – the top crust ended up being so thick that it’s just ever so slightly on the underdone side. It won’t stop me from eating it – and I think I’m going to try freezing it (I’m a little unsure how the ricotta will hold up, but people freeze lasagna all the time and this is the same thing – ricotta mixed with eggs – so I think it should hold up all right) because it will actually take me forever to finish it. The recipe says it serves six, but I ate a sixth-sized slice of it this evening (well, almost – I just couldn’t finish those last two bites!) and I am STUFFED. I think feeding 8 is perhaps a more accurate estimate (though if I hadn’t had it accompanied by the potato salad, I might have been able to manage it).
So all in all, a pretty good day.